Hi, O.C. Writers!
We've had several new members sign up recently, so I think it's a good time for an update.
* We are now up to 80 members on Facebook (www.facebook.com/groups/ocwriters), and a dozen more on the OCWriters.org mailing list!
* We have at least three member-run write-ins -- two in Santa Ana, one in Lake Forest-- scheduled every week. In November, to help members participating in Nanowrimo (www.nanowrimo.org), a Friday night write-in in Orange will be added to the lineup. Details on all this and more can be found at http://www.meetup.com/OC-Writers. Also, we're happy to help anyone who wants to organize other write-ins. If you don't see something that is convenient for you, there's a good chance you're not alone. Pick a time and a spot, and I'll be happy to help you get the word out among other O.C. Writers.
* We have a critique group that meets from 5 to 8 p.m. at the Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf in Santa Ana. It's run by Nyx. And again, I'm happy to help anyone who wants to get another critique group going. Let's talk!
* The anthology of member-written stories that Jennifer Levine has been spearheading is entering the editing phase, and may even be completed and ready in time for holiday gift-giving. Hurray!
* Twelve members attended our first-ever Plotting Workshop, which was held at Kas's house on September 21. Kas & I shared information and handouts on several plotting methods, and then did a viewing and story analysis of "Pretty Woman" based on the notes I took in a workshop with the excellent writing coach and screenplay consultant Michael Hague. It was great, and we could certainly do this kind of thing again, if members want it.
* The June 22 bonfire write-in Nyx organized at Newport Beach was such a success that Jennifer is planning a follow-up full moon write-in at her home in Dana Point THIS SATURDAY! All are welcome. You can get details and RSVP at http://www.meetup.com/OC-Writers/events/138571782/.
Finally, I have two things I'd like to get your feedback on:
1. Would you be interested in participating in a holiday get-together? And if so, what times do (or absolutely do not) work for you?
2. Since we now have so many members who are published and so many more who are very close, I'd like to find out how many of you would be interested in doing a book-signing at the L.A. Times Festival of Books in April. An O.C. Writers booth could feature book-signings by one or two members at a time, and we could divide the time (and cost) among the authors who want to participate.
Here's an example: Featuring two authors each hour, we'd have 30 spots available. Booths cost about $1,500, so that would cost $50 per hour to be one of two featured authors, or $100 for a solo author spot. It's steep, I realize. That's why I'd like to get the ball rolling on this if it is something you'd like to do. I'll provide an O.C. Writers banner and extra table, and probably anything else we might need.
Please feel free to comment here, or to send me a private message at ocwritersnetwork at gmail dot com.
I think that's it for now.